Friday, July 15, 2016

Time Warner Building (Per Se)

You know what the definition of living in luxury is? Spending nearly $1000 on a meal.

The Time Warner Building is located just at the edge of Central Park South. Living up to the category of "luxury", the fourth floor of the building featured some very expensive restaurants. One that held my interest was called "Masa", a sushi place. I'm a really big fan of sushi. Raw fish isn't something that sounds appealing, but when prepared with the spices and wrapped in seaweed and rice, it's quite divine. But I wasn't here for that. I was here today to take a look over at Dr. Gratson's all time favorite restaurant, Per Se.

I'm not sure why, but I was expecting something a little bigger. Not that this wasn't pleasant, it was just different from what I thought. Per Se wasn't exactly its own restaurant. It was walled off, but the walls didn't extend up to the ceiling, allowing people outside the restaurant to view those dining inside, as a sort of advertisement. Everyone inside had expensive looking clothes on. Considering the price to get into this place, I wouldn't be shocked if some of them came from Bergdorf Goodman's. Almost everyone there was instantly recognizable as a couple, though some were younger than others. They were all in a deep conversation, though impressively appeared to be speaking softly to each other, and yet they managed to be heard over all the noise that resonated into the open eatery from the halls around them.

The staff looked just as fancy, with well kept facial hair and rather nice vests on. The staff seemed to mostly sit back by the bar, not interacting with the guests at the establishment in all that I observed. Honestly, I would enjoy a restaurant where I'm not being harassed by a server asking to refill my Dr. Pepper for a fourth time in the hopes that I give them a better tip. They seemed to all be in a friendly chat with each other as they attended to their responsibilities. I noticed there didn't appear to be many people on the staff, but considering there weren't a super large number of people present, I think the number was sufficient.

Even the waiting room looked really pleasant to be in, with its small chairs next to a row of flowers behind glass doors. The rope over the door just further signified the exclusiveness of Per Se. Beyond this was what I'm assuming was the private room, which seats up to 10 guests.

The entirety of Per Se just embodies the idea that one can feel good and live in luxury by showing off their money, even if it's just to themselves. I fully accept that there's no way I can afford a place like this now, and honestly, no matter how good the food is, I doubt I'll ever eat here unless I find myself with significantly more funds than I'm expecting to have, but for those who enjoy this, good for them! It's nice to treat oneself to what one truly enjoys. After all, that's what luxury is.
But I think the price is enough to keep me away!

No comments:

Post a Comment